Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Multitasking

There are obvious debates for whether this is good or bad for computer use in education. Recent research has indicated that we are never able to do two things at the same time but that same of us are just able to switch between tasks extremely quickly.

In order to make some of the tasks more bearable that I complete at my computer, having Facebook and email open keeps me at my computer and makes the task of sitting at it all day more enjoyable.
On the other hand, I do notice my distraction at times from my essential tasks. There are moments when I check email or FB when I was only on them a minute earlier. Sometimes when returning to my original task it does take me some time to get back on track.
But back to the other hand, at least this keeps me at my computer and stops me from getting up and leaving it to do other tasks.
What should take me an hour probablly takes me two due to my multitasking and distracting myself. This I beleive is where the concern lies - often we hear reports of students spending hours at their computers trying to complete work (all of which occurs simultaneously with their blogging, instant messaging, you tubing, facebooking etc)and this has issues for tiredness and not ever completing the essential tasks.
Because I sit cautiously on the edge of this issue, being an avid procrastinator and multi-tasker (I have been blogging for hours but also Facebooking and emailing for that long too) I don't know the solution.
I'd love one if you have one... in the meantime i'll just check Facebook :)

No comments:

Post a Comment